Help creating a function - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Madison Kelly
Subject Help creating a function
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all,

   I'm using ulogd with PostgreSQL which stores IP addresses as 32bit
unsigned integers. So when I select some data I get something like:

ulogd=> SELECT id, ip_saddr, ip_daddr, raw_pktlen, ip_totlen, tcp_window
FROM ulog LIMIT 20;
  id |  ip_saddr  |  ip_daddr  | raw_pktlen | ip_totlen | tcp_window
----+------------+------------+------------+-----------+------------
   1 | 3232235874 | 1074534522 |         46 |        46 |      25825

   Where 'ip_saddr' and 'ip_daddr' are 'bigint'. I know I can convert
these numbers to dotted-decimal in perl with a small script like:

-=-=-
#!/usr/bin/perl

# This would be the number read from the DB
my $num=3232235874;

# Now do the math
my $temp=$num/256;
my $D=256*($temp-int($temp));
$temp=(int($temp))/256;
my $C=256*($temp-int($temp));
$temp=(int($temp))/256;
my $B=256*($temp-int($temp));
my $A=int($temp);
my $ip="$A.$B.$C.$D";

# Print the results
print "'num': [$num] -> 'IP': [$ip]\n";
-=-=-

   What I would like to do is create a function that would do the same
thing so I could read out the IP addresses as standard dotted-decimal
format. Could anyone help me with this? I am quite the n00b when it
comes to functions. :)

Thanks all!

Madi