Re: Optimize mul_var() for var1ndigits >= 8 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joel Jacobson
Subject Re: Optimize mul_var() for var1ndigits >= 8
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 13, 2024, at 13:01, Joel Jacobson wrote:
> I think this is acceptable, since it produces more correct results.

In addition, I've traced the rscale_adjustment -15 mul_var() calls to originate
from numeric_exp() and numeric_power(), so I thought it would be good to
brute-force test those as well, to get an idea of the probability of different
results from those functions.

Brute-force testing of course doesn't prove it's impossible to happen,
but millions of inputs didn't cause any observable differences in the
returned results, so I think it's at least very improbable to
happen in practice.

Regards,
Joel
Attachment