Re: Run postgresql engine in readonly mode? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua Tolley
Subject Re: Run postgresql engine in readonly mode?
Date
Re: Run postgresql engine in readonly mode?  (Steve Atkins <steve@blighty.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 2:37 AM, Galland Gregoire <greg.pg@practeo.ch> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I would like to run all my databases in a readonly mode just for a few
> hours (migration plan).
>
> Is it a way to tell the postgresql engine to run in readonly?
>
> Sincerly
>
> G.Galland

This comes up periodically on lists. There's not really a way. You can
set transactions as read only (see docs for SET TRANSACTION) but
that's probably not feasible, as you'd have to change your
application. You might create triggers preventing INSERTs and UPDATEs,
but a good bet is just to back up before hand and warn your users.

- Josh / eggyknap