Re: libpq compression - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: libpq compression
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 1/11/21 2:53 PM, Konstantin Knizhnik wrote:

> New version of libpq compression patch is attached.
> It can be also be found at git@github.com:postgrespro/libpq_compression.git

Seems it bit-rotted already, so here's a slightly fixed version.

1) Fixes the MSVC makefile. The list of files is sorted alphabetically,
so I've added the file at the end.

2) Fixes duplicate OID. It's a good practice to assign OIDs from the end
of the range, to prevent collisions during development.

Other than that, I wonder what's the easiest way to run all tests with
compression enabled. ISTM it'd be nice to add pg_regress option forcing
a particular compression algorithm to be used, or something similar. I'd
like a convenient way to pass this through a valgrind, for example. Or
how do we get this tested on a buildfarm?

I'm not convinced it's very user-friendly to not have a psql option
enabling compression. It's true it can be enabled in a connection
string, but I doubt many people will notice that.

The sgml docs need a bit more love / formatting. The lines in libpq.sgml
are far too long, and there are no tags whatsoever. Presumably zlib/zstd
should be marked as <literal>, and so on.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company