Re: Problem with server/utils/snapmgr.h - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marko Kreen
Subject Re: Problem with server/utils/snapmgr.h
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 4/22/08, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Chris Browne wrote:
>
>  > And I was trying to build against CVS HEAD (for both projects ;-)) and
>  > observed it:
>  >
>  > cbbrowne@dba2:CMD/slony1-HEAD/src/backend> make
>  > gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -I../.. -fpic -I/opt/OXRS/dbs/pgsql84-beta/include/
-I/opt/OXRS/dbs/pgsql84-beta/include/server/ -c -o slony1_funcs.o slony1_funcs.c

>  > slony1_funcs.c: In function '_Slony_I_createEvent':
>  > slony1_funcs.c:142: error: 'SerializableSnapshot' undeclared (first use in this function)
>  > slony1_funcs.c:142: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
>  > slony1_funcs.c:142: error: for each function it appears in.)
>  >
>  > The definition for SerializableSnapshot has moved from
>  > server/utils/tqual.h to server/utils/snapmgr.h
>

> Well, considering that my next patch proposes removing
>  SerializableSnapshot altogether, I think Slony will need some
>  rejiggering.
>
>  What do you need SerializableSnapshot for?  Perhaps this is reason
>  enough not to remove it (but I doubt it.)  Please point me to an online
>  copy of slony1_funcs.c.

You probably simply need to use ActiveSnapshot there.

Same thing came up when txid landed in core - it had inherited
SerializableSnapshot from xxid code.

If you really need exact same sematics, you need to simply
SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL SERIALIZABLE.  But if the whole
transaction is not SERIALIZABLE already, its unlikely you need it.

--
marko