Re: [HACKERS] Inconsistent syntax in GRANT - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Marko Kreen
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Inconsistent syntax in GRANT
Date
List pgsql-patches
On 1/7/06, Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
> Marko Kreen wrote:
> > The above table seem bit messy, but I see it as much easier to explain
> > to somebody.
>
> I am confused about your list above, so I can't see how that would be
> easy to explain.

Easy as in "use GRANT USAGE, forget about rest".  You are confused
because you know the old way and look them together.

I would have liked to say "the rest are for fine-grained access control",
but with Tom's final proposal, the explanation would continue "SELECT,
UPDATE are for backwards compatibility".

Attached is a patch that fixes tablename->seqname and puts USAGE
as first in list to show it's the preferred way.  I think it should
be mentioned somewhere explicitly, but I cant find proper place for
it.  In the Compatibility section for GRANT?

--
marko

Attachment