Re: [HACKERS] Inconsistent syntax in GRANT - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Inconsistent syntax in GRANT
Date
List pgsql-patches
> Should UPDATE also allow currval()?  Your logic below seems to suggest
> that.

I thought about that, but there are a couple of reasons not to:

1. It'd be a change from the current behavior of UPDATE privilege.
2. If there's someone out there who really does want write-only
   privileges for sequences, they'd be out in the cold.

I don't find either of these very compelling, but the case for changing
the behavior of UPDATE isn't strong either.  I think backwards
compatibility should carry the day if there's not a strong argument
in favor of change.

            regards, tom lane