How to uninstall PostgreSQL on OS X - Mailing list pgsql-general

From gary.beberman@mindspring.com (Gary Beberman)
Subject How to uninstall PostgreSQL on OS X
Date
List pgsql-general
I must have mucked up my installation of PostgreSQL on my Macintosh OS
X 10.1 machine.  No matter what I do, I get an error when I try to run
initdb.  So, I would like to start all over, removing PostgreSQL from
the machine.

But, I'm not sure how.  I have removed the /Library/PostgreSQL
directory hierarchy.  In addition, I have removed the /usr/local/pgsql
hierarchy as well as the commands installed in /usr/local/bin, these
two from an earlier botched attempt.

Still, when I run the installer, it provides me with a button that
says "Update" where I would expect "Install", indicating that there is
some remnant of an earlier installation around.  What could be left
and where?  I don't see an rpm option for OS X, which seems to be the
solution to this removing the software from a Linux system.

Thanks,

Gary

BTW, the error I get from initdb is:

creating template1 database in /Library/PostgreSQL/data/base/1...
dyld: /Library/PostgreSQL/bin/postgres Undefined symbols:
/Library/PostgreSQL/bin/postgres undefined reference to _crypt
expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.dylib

if anyone has any insight into how to address this, I would appreciate
getting your advice.  The libcrypto.0.9.dylib is in /usr/lib/