Re: BUG #5345: non-administrator users cannot create databases with special encoding - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Kovács Zoltán
Subject Re: BUG #5345: non-administrator users cannot create databases with special encoding
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Dear Tom, thank you for the explanation.

2010/2/24 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
"Zoltan Kovacs" <kovzol@particio.com> writes:
> I would like to create a database using SQL_ASCII encoding, but it is not
> allowed for a normal user, only for the postgres user.

There is an exception that will allow superusers to do that, but it's
not a good idea for them either.  The problem is not the encoding per
se, it's that it's unsafe in combination with a locale setting that
assumes UTF8.  The only safe locale for SQL_ASCII is C.

If you want to have one database that is C/SQL_ASCII and others that
have different locale settings, you need to upgrade to PG 8.4.  8.3
can only have one locale across the entire installation.

Yes, this is the case for me.

What can happen if I use an unsafe combination? Can the backend unexpectedly die? Can this cause data corruption?

Thank you for your answer in advance.

Best regards, Zoltan

                       regards, tom lane