accessing the words in a full text index - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Massa, Harald Armin
Subject accessing the words in a full text index
Date
List pgsql-general

I want to provide a "suggest word as you type" feature in an application (like google suggest).
All the documents are - of course - stored within a PostgreSQL database, within TEXT columns.

To provide those suggestions, I need a list of all words, together with a number indicating the number of occurences. (to show that "fire" is more likely for start of "fi" then "finally")

Those informations should allready be present within the Full Text Index if I create one for that column. Also FTI should take care of transfering words from phrases.

SO: can I access this information anyhow via SQL-functions?

Or do I have to store that information additionallly by myself in a helper table?

Best wishes,

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa