Re: fairywren is generating bogus BASE_BACKUP commands - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: fairywren is generating bogus BASE_BACKUP commands
Date
Re: fairywren is generating bogus BASE_BACKUP commands  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 2/3/22 20:51, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2022-02-03 17:25:51 -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> OK, I have all the pieces working and I know what I need to do to adapt
>> fairywren. The patch you provided is not necessary any more.
> Cool. Are you going to post that?

About the only thing missing in your recipe is this:

# force ucrt64 prove to use the ucrt64 perl rather than whatever is in
the path
sed -i 's,^#!perl,#!/ucrt64/bin/perl,' /ucrt64/bin/core_perl/prove

Given that, you don't need to set PERL, and configure can find the perl
to build against from the PATH.

>  Is there a reason to prefer ucrt64?
> There's a lot of oddities in the mingw64 target, due to targetting the much
> older C runtime library (lots of bugs, missing functionality). MSVC targets
> UCRT by default for quite a few years by now. Targetting msvcrt is basically
> on its way out from what I understand.

OK.

>> I think the next steps are:
>>
>>   * do those two reverts
>>   * adjust fairywren
>>   * get rid of perl2host
>>
>> At that stage jacana will no longer be able to run TAP tests. I can do
>> one of these:
> I guess because its install is too old?

Yeah. fairywren is now running with ucrt64-perl for TAP tests.

>>   * disable the TAP tests on jacana
>>   * migrate jacana to msys2
>>   * kiss jacana goodbye.
> Having a non-server mingw animal seems like it could be useful (I think that's
> just Jacana), even if server / client versions of windows have grown
> closer. So I think an update to msys2 makes the most sense?

Working on that. There appear to be some issues with third party
libraries. I might need to rebuild libxml2 and zlib for example.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan