Re: Postgresql performance in production environment - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Phoenix Kiula
Subject Re: Postgresql performance in production environment
Date
Re: Postgresql performance in production environment  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
List pgsql-general
On 19/08/07, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> Phoenix Kiula wrote:

...snip....

> There should be a line like this at the end of a "VACUUM VERBOSE" command:
> INFO:  free space map contains 33 pages in 74 relations
> DETAIL:  A total of 1184 page slots are in use (including overhead).
> 1184 page slots are required to track all free space.
> Current limits are:  153600 page slots, 1000 relations, using 965 kB.
> VACUUM

I ran the vacuum analyze verbose again, and did not see anything like
that. Should I run a vacuum alone?

In any case, in your example, which number would I take note of, and
derive the max_fsm_pages from?

I do notice this in my own output:

     There were 2959498 unused item pointers.
     133616 pages contain useful free space.
     0 pages are entirely empty.

Does this mean I should have over 133,616 in my max_fsm_pages. Should
I set it up at 150,000 for example?

Secondly, the max_fsm_relations -- if I have about 150 "relations" in
my database (relations as per PGSQL lingo) then can this figure be,
say, 200? Or does this have to match max_fsm_pages?

Many thanks