Re: Postgresql performance in production environment - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Postgresql performance in production environment
Date
List pgsql-general
Phoenix Kiula wrote:
> On 19/08/07, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>> Phoenix Kiula wrote:
>
> ...snip....
>
>> There should be a line like this at the end of a "VACUUM VERBOSE" command:
>> INFO:  free space map contains 33 pages in 74 relations
>> DETAIL:  A total of 1184 page slots are in use (including overhead).
>> 1184 page slots are required to track all free space.
>> Current limits are:  153600 page slots, 1000 relations, using 965 kB.
>> VACUUM
>>

> I ran the vacuum analyze verbose again, and did not see anything like
> that. Should I run a vacuum alone?

It shows up in both variants for me.
Oh, hang on. I think it only shows up if you're logged in with a
superuser - table owner is not enough. Check that.

> In any case, in your example, which number would I take note of, and
> derive the max_fsm_pages from?

The 1184 number (the one for "page slots are required to track")

> I do notice this in my own output:
>
>      There were 2959498 unused item pointers.
>      133616 pages contain useful free space.
>      0 pages are entirely empty.
>
> Does this mean I should have over 133,616 in my max_fsm_pages. Should
> I set it up at 150,000 for example?

Probably not enough - that's for a single table, no?

> Secondly, the max_fsm_relations -- if I have about 150 "relations" in
> my database (relations as per PGSQL lingo) then can this figure be,
> say, 200? Or does this have to match max_fsm_pages?

No need to match. If you have 150 relations, 200 is a reasonable value.
But once you get the proper output from the vacuum command, it tells you
that as well (74 in my example above)

As for your other question,how to view connections. Use "SELECT * FROM
pg_stat_activity". See
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/monitoring-stats.html.

//Magnus