Re: Best practice for: ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Phoenix Kiula
Subject Re: Best practice for: ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8"
Date
Re: Best practice for: ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8"  (Ben <bench@silentmedia.com>)
Re: Best practice for: ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8"  (Lew <lew@lewscanon.com>)
List pgsql-general
> What, exactly, does that mean?
>
> That PostgreSQL should take things in invalid utf-8 format and just store them?
> Or that PostgreSQL should autoconvert from invalid utf-8 to valid
> utf-8, guessing the proper codes?
>
> Seriously, what do you want pgsql to do with these invalid inputs?

PG should let me, as the administrator of the database, decide whether
I mind my DB to have an option to:

1. Either allow the "invalid" input

2. Or to continue storing the other information in the table even if
an exception was thrown for the utf-8 column (which may be an
unrequired column, for instance, so I may want it not to block the
storage of other valid input which is more important)

I am not advocating what others should do. But I know what I need my
DB to do. If I want it to store data that does not match puritanical
standards of textual storage, then it should allow me to...

It's just a wishlist item from me, but I realize my voice may be
inconsequential.