Re: Best practice for: ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Best practice for: ERROR: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8"
Date
List pgsql-general
On 8/15/07, Phoenix Kiula <phoenix.kiula@gmail.com> wrote:
> > What, exactly, does that mean?
> >
> > That PostgreSQL should take things in invalid utf-8 format and just store them?
> > Or that PostgreSQL should autoconvert from invalid utf-8 to valid
> > utf-8, guessing the proper codes?
> >
> > Seriously, what do you want pgsql to do with these invalid inputs?
>

> PG should let me, as the administrator of the database, decide whether
> I mind my DB to have an option to:
>
> 1. Either allow the "invalid" input
>
> 2. Or to continue storing the other information in the table even if
> an exception was thrown for the utf-8 column (which may be an
> unrequired column, for instance, so I may want it not to block the
> storage of other valid input which is more important)
>
> I am not advocating what others should do. But I know what I need my
> DB to do. If I want it to store data that does not match puritanical
> standards of textual storage, then it should allow me to...
>
> It's just a wishlist item from me, but I realize my voice may be
> inconsequential.

Can't you just create your db as SQL_ASCII and let it store anything
then?  I mean if you create a database in UTF-8 you're asking it to
carefully check the input.  If you set it to SQL_ASCII, you're telling
it to store anything.