Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 11/24/2017 10:38 AM, Ildus Kurbangaliev wrote:
> That means compressed datums now in the column with storage
> specified as external. I'm not sure that's a bug or a feature.

Interesting. Never realized it behaves like this. Not sure if it's
intentional or not (i.e. bug vs. feature).

> Lets insert them usual way:
>
>   delete from t2;
>   insert into t2 select repeat(md5(i::text),300) from
>     generate_series(1,100000) s(i);
>   \d+
>
>                      List of relations
>    Schema | Name | Type  | Owner |  Size   | Description
>   --------+------+-------+-------+---------+-------------
>    public | t1   | table | ildus | 18 MB   |
>    public | t2   | table | ildus | 1011 MB |
>
> Maybe there should be more common solution like comparison of
> attribute properties?

Maybe, not sure what the right solution is. I just know that if we allow
inserting data into arbitrary tables without recompression, we may end
up with data that can't be decompressed.

I agree that the behavior with extended storage is somewhat similar, but
the important distinction is that while that is surprising the data is
still accessible.

regards