Re: Large (8M) cache vs. dual-core CPUs - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From William Yu
Subject Re: Large (8M) cache vs. dual-core CPUs
Date
List pgsql-performance
David Boreham wrote:
> It isn't only Postgres. I work on a number of other server applications
> that also run much faster on Opterons than the published benchmark
> figures would suggest they should. They're all compiled with gcc4,
> so possibly there's a compiler issue. I don't run Windows on any
> of our Opteron boxes so I can't easily compare using the MS compiler.

Maybe it's just a fact that the majority of x86 64-bit development for
open source software happens on Opteron/A64 machines. 64-bit AMD
machines were selling a good year before 64-bit Intel machines were
available. And even after Intel EMT64 were available, anybody in their
right mind would have picked AMD machines over Intel due to
cost/heat/performance. So you end up with 64-bit OSS being
developed/optimized for Opterons and the 10% running Intel EMT64 handle
compatibility issues.

Would be interesting to see a survey of what machines OSS developers use
to write/test/optimize their code.