Re: Large (8M) cache vs. dual-core CPUs - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From David Boreham
Subject Re: Large (8M) cache vs. dual-core CPUs
Date
Re: Large (8M) cache vs. dual-core CPUs  (William Yu <wyu@talisys.com>)
List pgsql-performance
 >While in general there may not be that much of a % difference between
the 2 chips,
 >there's a huge gap in Postgres. For whatever reason, Postgres likes
Opterons.
 >Way more than Intel P4-architecture chips.

It isn't only Postgres. I work on a number of other server applications
that also run much faster on Opterons than the published benchmark
figures would suggest they should. They're all compiled with gcc4,
so possibly there's a compiler issue. I don't run Windows on any
of our Opteron boxes so I can't easily compare using the MS compiler.