Re: help - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Ray O'Donnell
Subject Re: help
Date
List pgadmin-support
On 17/01/2020 08:14, Kaab Rustam wrote:
> Dear Sir,
> I am trying to install postgresql, but it gives following error, what
> should I do? please help
>
> "could not connect to server: Connection refused Is the server running
> on host "localhost" (::1) and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5433?
> could not connect to server: Connection refused Is the server running on
> host "localhost" (127.0.0.1) and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5433?"

First off, this mailing list is for PgAdmin, not for PostgreSQL itself;
the pgsql-general list is probably more appropriate and has a wider
audience. Having said that, some more information would be helpful:

- What platform?

- How did you install PostgreSQL?

- Are you trying to connect from the same machine on which PG is
installed, or from another machine?

I'd also check a couple of things:

- Is PostgreSQL running? Look for PG processes:

  ps ax | grep postgres

- If you're connecting from a different machine, look for the
list_addresses setting in postgresql.conf; depending on how PG was
installed, it's often set to listen on localhost only.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell // Galway // Ireland
ray@rodonnell.ie