Re: Adjusting Shared Memory with sysctl.conf not working? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Doug Graham
Subject Re: Adjusting Shared Memory with sysctl.conf not working?
Date
List pgsql-novice
I've tried all kinds of values.  For sure I've tried the ones that Postgres says will work at least 6 times.  I wonder if this is a bug?

Doug

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Doug Graham <duggram@gmail.com> writes:
> Reboot multiple times. Here's what shared memory I have running now:

> DougMBP:~ duggram$ sysctl -a | grep shm
> kern.exec: unknown type returned
> kern.sysv.shmall: 16777216
> kern.sysv.shmseg: 8
> kern.sysv.shmmni: 4096
> kern.sysv.shmmin: 1
> kern.sysv.shmmax: 4194304

My MBP has

kern.sysv.shmall: 8192
kern.sysv.shmseg: 8
kern.sysv.shmmni: 32
kern.sysv.shmmin: 1
kern.sysv.shmmax: 33554432

I think you possibly have the meaning/units for shmall and shmmax
reversed.  shmall is in pages, shmmax is in bytes.  I wouldn't be
surprised if the shmall value you're trying to stuff in there is
overflowing to zero...

                       regards, tom lane