Re: 15,000 tables - next step - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Michael Riess
Subject Re: 15,000 tables - next step
Date
Re: 15,000 tables - next step
Re: 15,000 tables - next step
List pgsql-performance
Alvaro Herrera schrieb:
> Michael Riess wrote:
>
>> Shared memory ... I currently use 1500 buffers for 50 connections, and
>> performance really suffered when I used 3000 buffers. The problem is
>> that it is a 1GB machine, and Apache + Tomcat need about 400MB.
>
> Well, I'd think that's were your problem is.  Not only you have a
> (relatively speaking) small server -- you also share it with other
> very-memory-hungry services!  That's not a situation I'd like to be in.
> Try putting Apache and Tomcat elsewhere, and leave the bulk of the 1GB
> to Postgres.

No can do. I can try to switch to a 2GB machine, but I will not use
several machines. Not for a 5GB database. ;-)

> With 1500 shared buffers you are not really going
> anywhere -- you should have ten times that at the very least.

Like I said - I tried to double the buffers and the performance did not
improve in the least. And I also tried this on a 2GB machine, and
swapping was not a problem. If I used 10x more buffers, I would in
essence remove the OS buffers.