Re: 15,000 tables - next step - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: 15,000 tables - next step
Date
List pgsql-performance
Michael Riess wrote:

> Shared memory ... I currently use 1500 buffers for 50 connections, and
> performance really suffered when I used 3000 buffers. The problem is
> that it is a 1GB machine, and Apache + Tomcat need about 400MB.

Well, I'd think that's were your problem is.  Not only you have a
(relatively speaking) small server -- you also share it with other
very-memory-hungry services!  That's not a situation I'd like to be in.
Try putting Apache and Tomcat elsewhere, and leave the bulk of the 1GB
to Postgres.  With 1500 shared buffers you are not really going
anywhere -- you should have ten times that at the very least.