Re: shared buffers

From: William Yu
Subject: Re: shared buffers
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

shared buffers  (Carlos Henrique Reimer, )
 Re: shared buffers  (Christopher Kings-Lynne, )
  Re: shared buffers  (Carlos Henrique Reimer, )
   Re: shared buffers  (Christopher Kings-Lynne, )
   Re: shared buffers  (Tom Lane, )
   Re: shared buffers  (William Yu, )
   Re: shared buffers  (Martin Nickel, )
    Re: shared buffers  (John A Meinel, )

Carlos Henrique Reimer wrote:
> I forgot to say that it´s a 12GB database...
>
> Ok, I´ll set shared buffers to 30.000 pages but even so "meminfo" and
> "top" shouldn´t show some shared pages?
>
> I heard something about that Redhat 9 can´t handle very well RAM higher
> than 2GB. Is it right?
> Thanks in advance!

RH9, like any 32-bit OS, is limited to 2GB address space w/o special
tricks. However, it can access > 2GB for the OS disk cache using PAE if
you are running the bigmem kernel.