Re: Insert into VIEW using RULE. Not possible to use nextval()? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Collin Peters
Subject Re: Insert into VIEW using RULE. Not possible to use nextval()?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi Richard,

Your situation is the same as mine.  The only difference is that I
actually had a call to nextval() in the actual call to the VIEW.  In
your case this would be something like "INSERT INTO
Vschematic_insert(...".  So if you were to try "INSERT INTO
Vschematic_insert(nextval('foo_sql'), ..." and then try to use that
value inside the RULE it will fail.

Your solution works great assuming two things:
1. You don't need to use the ID for anything else (which is true in
your case and actually in mine as well)
2. currval() is guaranteed to be correct within the RULE.  This was my
second question.  If I call "INSERT INTO Vschematic_insert(..."
simultaneously 1000 times is it guaranteed to be correct?