Re: panic failed to add item - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: panic failed to add item
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> writes:
>> I get this running mnogosearch against my 8.4.1 database consistently:
>> PANIC:  failed to add item to the right sibling in index "logged_in_uid"
>
> Huh.  Don't suppose you can extract a reproducible test case ;-).
> What are the exact definitions of the table and index?

Oh hey, whaddya know, the problem was a symptom that showed up in
mnogosearch, but it came from our stats database.

\d logged_in
                                           Table "public.logged_in"
     Column      |           Type           |
  Modifiers
-----------------+--------------------------+------------------------------------------------------------------
 logged_in_id    | integer                  | not null default
nextval('logged_in_logged_in_id_seq'::regclass)
 uid             | integer                  |
 timestamp       | timestamp with time zone | default now()
 remote_addr     | text                     |
 orgid           | integer                  |
 orig_session_id | text                     |
 new_session_id  | text                     |
 logout_reason   | text                     |
    "logged_in_id" PRIMARY KEY, btree (logged_in_id)
    "logged_in_timestamp" btree ("timestamp")
    "logged_in_uid" btree (uid)

Problem is we insert 125k rows a day and get that signal 6 every one
to four days.  So a reproduceable test case may involved insertinto
400k or more rows to make it happen.  I'll see what I can do.