Re: Experience with many schemas vs many databases - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Experience with many schemas vs many databases
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 11:54 AM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:

> Use schema.  Here's a pro tip: if you have any sql or pl/pgsql
> functions you can use the same function body across all the schema as
> long as you discard the plans when you want to move from schema to
> schema.

I too vote for schemas.

> I'm curious if those suggesting there is a practical upper limit of
> the number of schema postgres can handle have any hard information to
> back that up...

The real limit is performance of certain things over the catalogs, not
the number of schemas, but how many objects are in the db seem to
impact me more, and that's only with slony.  Everything else runs fine
with ~40k objects in my db.