Re: "duplicate key violates unique constraint" error - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: "duplicate key violates unique constraint" error
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 10:12 PM, tamanna madaan
<tamanna.madan@globallogic.com> wrote:

>  Hi All
>

> I have a cluster setup with one master and one slave . Replication from
> master to slave is not taking place.
>
> I am getting this error  “duplicate key violates unique constraint”  in my
> slon.log on slave . This error is thrown while
>
> Slon is inserting a row in a table  on slave. This must be because of the
> reason that duplicate rows
>
> are being returned while querying sl_log_1 table.  I googled about the same
> problem and found that
>
> there is some bug in postgres due to which some table or index on that table
> gets corrupted. Due to this

If your underlying file system is unreliable and results in a
corrupted index that allows postgresql to insert duplicate rows, that
is NOT a bug in postgresql, it is a failing in your hardware / OS that
you need to get fixed.  Pgsql can't be blamed for errors created by
bad hardware, and no amount of coding can overcome that deficit.