Re: reading last inserted record withoud any autoincrement field - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: reading last inserted record withoud any autoincrement field
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Rob Sargent <robjsargent@gmail.com> wrote:
> Osvaldo Kussama wrote:
>>
>> 2009/10/4 mohammad qoreishy <m_qoreishy@yahoo.com>
>>

>>> How can get last inserted record in a table without any autoincrement
>>> filed?
>>> I need to  frequently fetch the last inserted record.
>>> If I must use the "Cursor" please explain your solution.
>>>

>> RETURNING clause?
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/sql-insert.html
>>
>> Osvaldo
>>

> It took the OP to mean last insert as in randomly in the past, not as part
> of current transaction.  My fear is OP's schema has no way of identifying
> time-of-insert, nor a monotonically increasing record id and is hoping
> postgres has a some internal value that will return the most recently
> inserted record. Without a table definition it's hard to say.

Given that he's mentioning cursors, I'm guessing he's talking about
during this session / transaction.  So returning would be best.  Note
that returning returns a SET of results, so that if your insert
inserts 10 rows, you'll get back 10 rows from returning.