Re: reading last inserted record withoud any autoincrement field - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Rob Sargent
Subject Re: reading last inserted record withoud any autoincrement field
Date
List pgsql-sql
Osvaldo Kussama wrote:
> 2009/10/4 mohammad qoreishy <m_qoreishy@yahoo.com>
>
>> How can get last inserted record in a table without any autoincrement filed?
>> I need to  frequently fetch the last inserted record.
>> If I must use the "Cursor" please explain your solution.
>>

> RETURNING clause?
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/sql-insert.html
>
> Osvaldo

It took the OP to mean last insert as in randomly in the past, not as
part of current transaction.  My fear is OP's schema has no way of
identifying time-of-insert, nor a monotonically increasing record id and
is hoping postgres has a some internal value that will return the most
recently inserted record. Without a table definition it's hard to say.