Re: php4 and postgresql 8.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: php4 and postgresql 8.3
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 8:24 PM, shadrack <shadkeene@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 2, 5:35 pm, pie...@hogranch.com (John R Pierce) wrote:
>> Tom Lane wrote:

>> > Er ... Red Hat *what*?  I don't think they ever used such a version
>> > number.  If they did it was a very long time ago (for calibration,
>> > they were just about to release RHL 7.3 when I joined the company,
>> > in 2001).
>>
>> well, remember, they went Red Hat Linux 7.x, 8.x, 9 then very quickly
>> switched to Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2, 2.1, 3, 4, and currently RHEL
>> 5.   RHEL 3 has had several quarterly updates, most recent of which is
>> u9(I think), sometimes referred to as 3.9.
>>
>> if its RHEL 3 update-something that shadrack is discussing, it came with
>> php 4.3.2 and rh-postgresql 7.3.21 (shudder!)
>>
>> --
>
> Yes, we had postgresql 7.3 but I installed postgresql 8.3 onto the
> rhel3.  Do you think its going to work?  What's the solution that
> involves the least work, considering I'm not the one maintaining these
> machines?  Do you think it would be simple for the IT person to update
> to rhel5 and php5?  Its basically just one machine that he would have
> to update.  Thoughts?  Thanks so much for all the feedback.
> shad

Going straight to RHEL 5 would be a way smarter move.  it's stable,
it's supported, and it has php5 and pgsql 8.something as a default
(8.2?  Somewhere in there).  Plus,. if you want 8.3 you just don't
install 8.2 and instead grab the PGDG rpms from the postgresql ftp
site.  I could maybe understand a corporate policy of supporting
RHEL4, but RHEL3 is ancient.