Re: Are there plans to add data compression feature to postgresql? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Are there plans to add data compression feature to postgresql?
Date
Re: Are there plans to add data compression feature to postgresql?  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 7:37 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Scott Marlowe escribió:
>
>> What is the torn page problem?  Note I'm no big fan of compressed file
>> systems, but I can't imagine them not working with databases, as I've
>> seen them work quite reliably under exhange server running a db
>> oriented storage subsystem.  And I can't imagine them not being
>> invisible to an application, otherwise you'd just be asking for
>> trouble.
>
> Exchange, isn't that the thing that's very prone to corrupted databases?
> I've heard lots of horror stories about that (and also about how you
> have to defragment the database once in a while, so what kind of
> database it really is?)

Sure, bash Microsoft it's easy.   But it doesn't address the point, is
a database safe on top of a compressed file system and if not, why?