Re: How to know the password for the user 'postgres' - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: How to know the password for the user 'postgres'
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 10:55 PM, Shashank Sahni <shredder12@gmail.com> wrote:

>>  createuser: could not connect to database postgres: FATAL:  password
>>   authentication failed for user "postgres"
>>
>> Odd I would have expected it to say something about identd
>> authentication failing.
>>
>> Have you tried:
>>
>> sudo su - postgres
>> createuser -d -A -P dpsace
>>
>> ?
>
>  Oh... I am sorry...you are right...the error is
>          "Ident authentication failed for user 'postgres' "
> the error specified earlier appeared when i tried running.
>    createuser -h localhost -U postgres -d -A -P dspace
> Thanks for pointing it out..

No problem.  You might wanna look into the pg_hba.conf file.    Like
most pgsql files it's self documenting, so just reading it will tell
you quite a bit.  /etc/postgresql/8.3/main/pg_hba.conf I believe is
where it is on ubuntu.