Re: Array load from remote site through Perl/DBI - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Array load from remote site through Perl/DBI
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 1:09 PM, Gauthier, Dave <dave.gauthier@intel.com> wrote:

> I have a perl/dbi app that loads my DB with sequential and discrete insert
> statements.  Runs very fast and I'm satisfied with it.  Now I have to run
> the same app from a different site, but loading my local DB.  The "one at a
> time" inserts take too long, probably because of the client/server delays
> incurred with the remote DB attach.

You can either wrap all the inserts in a begin; end; pair or you can
use copy from stdin.  pg_dump uses copy from stdin for an example.

> I was thinking of pooling all the data for the insert into arrays and then
> doing a single array insert, therby cutting down on all the back/forth.  But
> there may be other approaches.

Hmmm.  I think as long as you're moving things in a transaction you'll
probably be ok.