Re: Query output into a space delimited/location sensitive file - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Query output into a space delimited/location sensitive file
Date
List pgsql-general
On Feb 16, 2008 5:29 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Ubence Quevedo wrote:
> > What would the command be to have a query result be put into a
> > location/space sensitive file [position 1 through 5 would be one thing
> > where position 6 through 10 would be the next field, 11 through 16
> > another, etc]?  Is this even possible with Postgres?
>
> Not possible --- many data types are of variable length.

I think the OP was just looking at processing fixed with records into
pgsql.  If that's the case you can make a load table with one text
field and select into from it with something like substring(field,1,5)
etc...