Re: virtualized snapshots and PITR - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Achilleas Mantzios
Subject Re: virtualized snapshots and PITR
Date
List pgsql-admin
On 14/12/2017 10:19, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> PropAAS DBA wrote:
>> we have a client using veeam to do vmware snapshots of the db servers,
>> unfortunately as far as I can tell any restore of a veeam snapshot also
>> restores the state, which means the db gets restored in an online state.
>> As far as I know, once the db is online we cannot force it back into
>> recovery mode to do a PITR recovery, correct?
>>
>> Anyone know of a way to do PITR recoveries with veeam?
> It is fairly simple.
>
> Before the snapshot, run
>
>     SELECT pg_start_backup('label of your choice', TRUE);
>
> After the snapshot, run
>
>     SELECT pg_stop_backup();
This will create the data/backup_label file necessary for a minimal consistent recover, but wouldn't he also have a
recovery.confin place, so that the server will keep reading wals till it reaches

the recovery target? And if the system comes up live he won't have the chance to create this directory.
Basically what we do ourselves is exactly what you suggest. I'll have to ask if state (mem/cpu/registers/etc) is
restoredas well.

--
Achilleas Mantzios
IT DEV Lead