Re: virtualized snapshots and PITR - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: virtualized snapshots and PITR
Date
List pgsql-admin
Achilleas Mantzios wrote:
> > > Anyone know of a way to do PITR recoveries with veeam?
> >
> > It is fairly simple.
> >
> > Before the snapshot, run
> >
> >      SELECT pg_start_backup('label of your choice', TRUE);
> >
> > After the snapshot, run
> >
> >      SELECT pg_stop_backup();
>
> This will create the data/backup_label file necessary for a minimal consistent recover,
> but wouldn't he also have a recovery.conf in place, so that the server will keep
> reading wals till it reaches the recovery target?

Yes, for point-in-time recovery you would need a recovery.conf file
with at least a "restore_command" in it.

> And if the system comes up live he won't have the chance to create this directory.

That's an interesting point; I didn't think of it.

One thing I can think of is to disable PostgreSQL autostart
while you take the snapshot.

> Basically what we do ourselves is exactly what you suggest.
> I'll have to ask if state (mem/cpu/registers/etc) is restored as well.

Such a kind of snapshot wouldn't be useful for a database backup.
You only want the storage.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe