Re: [HACKERS] FYI: git worktrees as replacement for "rsync the CVSROOT" - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From ilmari@ilmari.org (Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker)
Subject Re: [HACKERS] FYI: git worktrees as replacement for "rsync the CVSROOT"
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 03:01:47PM -0600, Jim Nasby wrote:
>> Not sure how many people still use [1], as referenced by our git wiki[2],
>> but it appears git worktrees are a viable replacement for that technique. In
>> short, if you're already in your checkout:
>>
>> git worktree add ../9.6 REL9_6_STABLE
>>
>> would give you a checkout of 9.6 in the ../9.6 directory.
>>
>> BTW, I learned about this from this "git year in review" article[3].
>>
>> 1: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20090602162347.GF23972@yugib.highrise.ca
>> 2: https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Working_with_Git#Continuing_the_.22rsync_the_CVSROOT.22_workflow
>> 3: https://hackernoon.com/git-in-2016-fad96ae22a15?imm_mid=0ec3e0&cmp=em-prog-na-na-newsltr_20170114#.shgj609ad
>
> Uh, I don't see this in git 2.1.4:
>
>     $ git worktree
>     git: 'worktree' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.
>
> which is in Debian Jessie.  This reports worktree was added in 2.5,
> released in July 2015:

Backports has git 2.11.0. Just add the "jessie-backports" suite to your
sources list, e.g.:
   deb http://ftp.<country>.debian.org/debian/ jessie-backports main

And install git from there:
   sudo apt install git/jessie-backports

Apt won't upgrade other packages to backports versions, but any packages
you've manually installed from there will be kept up-to-date.

See https://backports.debian.org/ for more details.

--
"A disappointingly low fraction of the human race is,at any given time, on fire." - Stig Sandbeck Mathisen