Re: Out of shared memory (locks per process) using table-inheritance style partitioning - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John Prevost
Subject Re: Out of shared memory (locks per process) using table-inheritance style partitioning
Date
List pgsql-general
> So what's the problem?  Increase max_locks_per_transaction.  The reason
> we have that as a tunable is mainly to support systems with very large
> numbers of tables.

So increasing this value into the thousands is a reasonable approach?
If it is reasonable, that's fine.  I'll certainly be increasing it
somewhat in any case.

It just feels more than a little extreme to be tweaking a parameter
which has the comment "32 has historically been enough" up by a factor
of 300 or more—extreme enough to make me wonder if there shouldn't be
some other solution for partitioning.

Are there any drawbacks one should be aware of when increasing
max_locks_per_transaction to such a huge value, besides the obvious
increase in shared memory requirements?