Re: How easy is it to lose permissions in 'public' schema? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: How easy is it to lose permissions in 'public' schema?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 4/11/22 17:34, Tom Lane wrote:
> Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> writes:
>> On 4/11/22 16:10, Rob Sargent wrote:
>>> I've just bumped into this.
>>>
>>> barnard=> select public.genome_threshold_mono('a'::text,'b'::text);
>>> ERROR:  permission denied for schema public
>>> LINE 1: select public.genome_threshold_mono('a'::text,'b'::text);
>>>
>>> I know I haven't intentionally removed 'public' from grantee's purview
>>> and short of the code block above not actually getting run, any guesses
>>> as to how access to 'public' got removed from grantee?
>
>> I'm going to say someone read this:
>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/A_Guide_to_CVE-2018-1058:_Protect_Your_Search_Path
>> And did something along the line of this:
>> REVOKE CREATE ON SCHEMA public FROM PUBLIC;
>
> Note that that only recommends removing CREATE, though, not USAGE
> which is what Rob seems to be lacking.

Yeah that is why I threw in the 'And did something along the line of
this' and the 'Probably should take a look at what permissions the
functions in public have?'. I'm guessing someone saw the release notes
for 10.3(https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/release-10-3.html) and the
comments on the mailing list and got proactive.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com