Re: How easy is it to lose permissions in 'public' schema? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rob Sargent
Subject Re: How easy is it to lose permissions in 'public' schema?
Date
List pgsql-general

On Apr 11, 2022, at 6:51 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:

On 4/11/22 17:34, Tom Lane wrote:
On 4/11/22 16:10, Rob Sargent wrote:
I've just bumped into this.

barnard=> select public.genome_threshold_mono('a'::text,'b'::text);
ERROR:  permission denied for schema public
LINE 1: select public.genome_threshold_mono('a'::text,'b'::text);

I know I haven't intentionally removed 'public' from grantee's purview
and short of the code block above not actually getting run, any guesses
as to how access to 'public' got removed from grantee?
I'm going to say someone read this:
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/A_Guide_to_CVE-2018-1058:_Protect_Your_Search_Path
And did something along the line of this:
REVOKE CREATE ON SCHEMA public FROM PUBLIC;
Note that that only recommends removing CREATE, though, not USAGE
which is what Rob seems to be lacking.

Yeah that is why I threw in the 'And did something along the line of this' and the 'Probably should take a look at what permissions the functions in public have?'. I'm guessing someone saw the release notes for 10.3(https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/release-10-3.html) and the comments on the mailing list and got proactive.

           regards, tom lane

Gentlemen,thank you.

Something similar to as described is a definite possibility during the ‘bringing over’. Same time one of the brought over dbs was imported twice without constraints etc. I love being looked after.
Cheers,
rjs

--
Adrian Klaver