Re: File truncation within PostgresNode::issues_sql_like() wrong on Windows - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: File truncation within PostgresNode::issues_sql_like() wrong on Windows
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 4/14/21 8:10 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 05:10:41PM -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> That seems rather heavy-handed. The buildfarm's approach is a bit
>> different. Essentially it seeks to the previous position of the log file
>> before reading contents. Here is its equivalent of slurp_file:
>>
>>     use Fcntl qw(:seek);
>>     sub file_lines
>>     {
>>         my $filename = shift;
>>         my $filepos  = shift;
>>         my $handle;
>>         open($handle, '<', $filename) || croak "opening $filename: $!";
>>         seek($handle, $filepos, SEEK_SET) if $filepos;
>>         my @lines = <$handle>;
>>         close $handle;
>>         return @lines;
>>     }
> That's a bit surprising to see that you can safely open a file handle
> with perl like that without using Win32API::File, and I would have
> assumed that this would have conflicted with the backend redirecting
> its output to stderr the same way as a truncation on Windows.
>
>> A client wanting what's done in PostgresNode would do something like:
>>
>>     my $logpos  = -s $logfile;
>>     do_some_stuff();
>>     my @lines = file_lines($logfile, $logpos);
>>
>> This has the benefit of working the same on all platforms, and no
>> truncation, rotation, or restart is required.
> Jacob has suggested something like that a couple of days ago, but all
> this code was not centralized yet in a single place.
>
> For this code, the cleanest approach would be to extend slurp_file()
> with an extra argument to seek the file before fetching its contents
> based on a location given by the caller?  Looking at the docs of
> Win32API::File, we'd need to use SetFilePointer() instead of seek().

Well, let me try it on fairywren tomorrow. Since we manage this on the
buildfarm without any use at all of Win32API::File it might not be
necessary in TAP code either, particularly if we're not truncating the file.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan