Re: Postgresql Windows ODBC - Mailing list pgsql-general

From William Yu
Subject Re: Postgresql Windows ODBC
Date
List pgsql-general
Depends for what purpose. I've found that if you're heavy into doing
user interface stuff on Windows, Delphi is great for that. Lots of
built-in widgets plus zillions of 3rd party addins makes it easy to drag
and drop your way to full-blown apps.

For data manipulaton, my opinion is nothing beats Visual FoxPro. While
it also has screen/forms/report designer stuff, it just doesn't feel as
fast and elegant as Delphi. But if you need to parse/alter/sort data
before dumping it into Postgres, VFP makes your life so easy. It's
especially good for power users doing adhocs. In theory, a power user
could write that perfect query that gets the data they precisely the way
they want it. In reality, it's a lot of trial and error. Using VFP, you
could just get the records and then use the plethora of XBase commands
to manipulate the results to your heart's desire.

For building web apps, I dunno too much about since I use Perl on Linux
for that. However, Ruby on Rails looks pretty UI friendly in being able
to build a website w/ limited coding.