Re: UltraSPARC versus AMD - Mailing list pgsql-general

From William Yu
Subject Re: UltraSPARC versus AMD
Date
List pgsql-general
Aceshardware.com has a good UI for looking at Spec scores. They imported
all the results into their DB for easily comparisons between processors.

Single CPU (individual queries):

http://www.aceshardware.com/SPECmine/index.jsp?b=0&s=0&v=4&if=0&if=1&if=2&a=0&a=1&a=2&a=3&a=5&a=6&a=7&ncf=1&nct=1&cpcf=1&cpct=1&mf=1&mt=4000&o=0&o=1

Quad CPU SMP performance:

http://www.aceshardware.com/SPECmine/index.jsp?b=1&s=0&v=4&if=0&if=1&if=2&a=0&a=1&a=2&a=3&a=5&a=6&a=7&ncf=1&nct=4&cpcf=1&cpct=4&mf=250&mt=3800&o=0&o=1

Money is no object performance:

http://www.aceshardware.com/SPECmine/index.jsp?b=1&s=0&v=4&if=0&if=1&if=2&a=0&a=1&a=2&a=3&a=5&a=6&a=7&ncf=1&nct=256&cpcf=1&cpct=256&mf=250&mt=3800&o=0&o=1

The numbers don't have the latest dual core Opterons yet. (Don't see
them on spec.org yet either.) My random guess right now, 4x2 system
would probably be about 140 SpecINT_rate. It's looking like it's faster
than have a DC Opteron w/ 1 memory bank versus Dual Opteron w/ 2 memory
bank because the interconnect between cores inside a DC CPU is so much
faster than the HT motherboard connect.