Re: pgbackrest - question about restoring cluster to a new cluster onsame server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Steele
Subject Re: pgbackrest - question about restoring cluster to a new cluster onsame server
Date
List pgsql-general
On 9/18/19 6:59 PM, Ron wrote:

> Scenario: there's data corruption on production server, so we need to do
> a PITR restore from "a few days ago" of the cluster holding the prod
> databases to a second cluster on that same VM in order to try and find
> the missing data and load it back into the prod cluster.
>
> Other than putting a high I/O load on the LUN where repo-path is located
> (from both writing WALs to it and reading the backed up files), will
> there be any problems when "pg_ctl start" processes recovery.conf and
> applies the WAL files to the new cluster while the prod cluster is
> writing new WAL files.
>
> Does my question make sense?

It does, but the answer lies outside of pgBackRest.  "Can the repo
storage handle the load of archive-push and archive-get at the same
time" is really a question of storage and network throughput.

pgBackRest compresses everything by default which goes a long way
towards increasing throughput, but ultimately we don't control the
bandwidth.

Having said that, if the storage and network throughput are sufficient,
restoring and recovering a standby using pgBackRest will not impact the
primary as a direct pg_basebackup will.

Regards,

--
-David