Re: Using C# to create stored procedures - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tomi N/A
Subject Re: Using C# to create stored procedures
Date
List pgsql-general
2007/4/3, Andrus <kobruleht2@hot.ee>:

> I needd to re-write a lot of compliatated SQL select statements to run them
> in server which generate reports.
> Currently they are running in client side.
> Client application uses procedural language  to do additional processing of
> data retrieved from PostgreSQL server.
>
> I need to create new client application. So I desided that I must move as
> much processing to server as possible.
> Using C# should make my procedures portable to MS SQL, DB2 also.
>
> I'm looking for things available in modern language IDEs like
> auto-completion, intellisence, immediate syntax check
> and modern language features like classes, generic, interfaces.
> There a much more source code, resources and  books available in C# than in
> pl/pgSQL.

So use pljava. And add refactoring and IDE independence on the
development side and platform independence on the deployment side,
while you're at it.
Or write a service layer and build upon it in whatever you want. Or
write plc# and make it possible for yourself and anyone else to write
postgresql procedures in C#.

> C# allows to use whole .NET class library, which contains solutions for
> almost everything.

...rrright. ;^)

> I think that using pgAdmin+PL/pgSQL decreases my productivity a lot compared
> to Visual Studio + C#

I would tend to agree with you there: writing major chunks of logic in
stored procedures (plpgsql, tsql or any other SQLoid language) isn't a
very pleasurable experiance...but it feels like a death row pardon
compared to debugging someone elses SQLoid code.

Cheers,
t.n.a.