Re: database backup trouble - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tomi N/A
Subject Re: database backup trouble
Date
List pgsql-general
2007/2/2, George Weaver <gweaver@shaw.ca>:

> From: "Tomi N/A"
>
> > At this point, I decided to try a much more primitive approach: using
> > a windows scheduled task running a .bat or .cmd script which in turn
> > calls pg_dump.
>
> It might be helpful if you provided the exact pg_dump command you are trying
> to use, as well as the text of the .bat file you set up.

I did exactly that a bit into my message (should have probably pointed
it out at the beginning).
Anyway, here it is again:
pg_dump -h localhost -U myuser mydatabase -f outputfile.backup

Oh, and I forgot to ask another question in the original message: why
can a linux user with an invalid or non-existant .pgpass successfully
use pg_dumpall (pg_dumpall -U existing_pg_role > dump.sql) and read
any data he/she cares to read?

Thanks,
t.n.a.