Re: database backup trouble - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: database backup trouble
Date
List pgsql-general
Tomi N/A wrote:
> 2007/2/2, George Weaver <gweaver@shaw.ca>:
>>
>> From: "Tomi N/A"
>>
>> > At this point, I decided to try a much more primitive approach: using
>> > a windows scheduled task running a .bat or .cmd script which in turn
>> > calls pg_dump.
>>
>> It might be helpful if you provided the exact pg_dump command you are
>> trying
>> to use, as well as the text of the .bat file you set up.
>
> I did exactly that a bit into my message (should have probably pointed
> it out at the beginning).
> Anyway, here it is again:
> pg_dump -h localhost -U myuser mydatabase -f outputfile.backup

Should work if the executing user has permission to write to the output
file. You've not specified a directory for the file though, so there's
no way to check.

> Oh, and I forgot to ask another question in the original message: why
> can a linux user with an invalid or non-existant .pgpass successfully
> use pg_dumpall (pg_dumpall -U existing_pg_role > dump.sql) and read
> any data he/she cares to read?

Can't. Not unless you've set pg_hba.conf to allow it. Not unless you've
found a gaping hole that no-one else has noticed.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd