Re: MSSQL to PostgreSQL : Encoding problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tomi NA
Subject Re: MSSQL to PostgreSQL : Encoding problem
Date
List pgsql-general
2006/11/23, Arnaud Lesauvage <thewild@freesurf.fr>:
> Arnaud Lesauvage a écrit :
> > Brandon Aiken a écrit :
> >> It also might be a big/little endian problem, although I always thought that was platform specific, not locale
specific.

> >> Try the UCS-2-INTERNAL and UCS-4-INTERNAL codepages in iconv, which should use the two-byte or four-byte versions
ofUCS encoding using the system's default endian setting.

> > Guys, it worked !!!!
> > UCS-4-INTERNAL was the right choice !!!
> >
> > I love you all !
> >
> > (now I just have an out of memory problem, but that's going
> > to be a new thread)
>
> Guys, it did not work !!! :(
> I thought it worked because postgres seemed to be loading
> the file and failing at the end with an "out of memory"
> error, but in fact I think the conversion remove all
> end-of-line characters (one line of 1.5GB was too much for
> COPY...).
>
> Still searching !

It will take you a day or two to get started, and then a day or two to
get the job done, but you really might want to look into kettle or
some other ETL tool to do the job.
It looks to me like you're trying to screw in a screw using a hammer.

t.n.a.