Re: BUG #4913: Row missing from primary key index - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Mathieu De Zutter
Subject Re: BUG #4913: Row missing from primary key index
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 6:24 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> As far as anyone knows, it's impossible to get into the
> disconnected-backends state unless (a) you manually remove the
> postmaster.pid file that provides the interlock against it, or
> (b) you're trying to run multiple copies of Postgres on different
> machines that're sharing an NFS or SAN mount of the same database files.
> I assume you'd have mentioned it if you were trying (b), but I wonder
> whether you have an init script that takes it on itself to remove the
> postmaster.pid file?  It's generally considered irresponsible for an
> init script to do that, but I'm not sure every distro has gotten the word.

(a) I can't remember doing that, but who knows I got frustrated at some
point in time and took a wrong shortcut.
(b) I've only got local RAID storage.

I've checked the debian init script, and the only thing related to the pid
file I found was creating the underlying directory /var/run/postgresql

Regards,
Mathieu