Re: BUG #4913: Row missing from primary key index - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #4913: Row missing from primary key index
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Mathieu De Zutter <mathieu@dezutter.org> writes:
>  $ sudo  ipcs -m
> ------ Shared Memory Segments --------
> key        shmid      owner      perms      bytes      nattch     status
> 0x0052e2c1 1081344    postgres  600        30384128   21
> 0x00000000 425985     postgres  600        18440      34
> 0x00000000 458754     postgres  600        16384      34
> 0x00000000 491523     postgres  600        768        34
> 0x00000000 524292     postgres  600        12         34

Hmm, I wonder what those last four are?  Surely they are too small
to be Postgres shmem segments, but if they're something else like X11
segments then why do we only see ones belong to user postgres?  I think
it's probably irrelevant to the problem, but just wondering ...

> Note that I stopped/started postgresql last night.

The evidence may be gone then.  I still think that disconnected backends
are the most plausible explanation, but you might have killed everything
off.

As far as anyone knows, it's impossible to get into the
disconnected-backends state unless (a) you manually remove the
postmaster.pid file that provides the interlock against it, or
(b) you're trying to run multiple copies of Postgres on different
machines that're sharing an NFS or SAN mount of the same database files.
I assume you'd have mentioned it if you were trying (b), but I wonder
whether you have an init script that takes it on itself to remove the
postmaster.pid file?  It's generally considered irresponsible for an
init script to do that, but I'm not sure every distro has gotten the word.

            regards, tom lane